3.28.2012

blue boats baby quilt description

completed shot
I am in love with this 38 x 48 quilt, which I just finished today (after starting it only three days ago!). The focal boat and whale printed squares are flannel, as it the whale print backing. The backing has a pieced section of the same printed fabric as the sashing, which is also the same fabric used for the binding. (And I still have about 6 x 44 inches left - isn't that crazy?).
The focal squares are off-set in all but four of the blocks. This gives it a fun wonky look, and gives the quilt a little more visual interest.
I quilted waves all over the quilt, except for in the focal squares. I love the fun nautical theme of the quilt, all inspired by the first fabric I decided to work with - the boat and whale printed flannel. I bought the blue cotton to match the squares, and got the whale printed flannel for the backing. The other printed fabric, used for the sashing, I bought as a remnant long long ago. 
I am tempted to keep this quilt rather than donating it, I love it that much. But Adam would say that is "packratty" of me, and I don't know how long it would be before I found someone to give it to. So it will get mailed off tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment