Yesterday I finished the quilt top, made the backing for my blue boats baby quilt, basted the whole sandwich (with Adam's help, of course) and quilted about a third of the quilt in a continuous wave pattern. It's a lot more difficult than I had anticipated, and not all my waves are perfect. But I think the effect looks nice, and it fits the theme of the quilt - so it's worth the trouble!
I am not quilting in the flannel focal squares. I'm not sure the light blue thread I am using would even show up in the squares, so I don't know that it makes any difference, but I didn't want to distract from the printed fabric.