|the good ones|
Last night I made more tinted mason jars after removing the previous not-so-successful coloring from two jars. Out of the six I made, four were successful and two were not. That's not an ideal success rate, but since it's pretty easy to remove the tinting (see my previous post for details), it's acceptable.
I used the same mixture and oven temperature as before but added more food coloring for more intense colors. I did four drops of red for the pink, four drops of red and three drops of blue for the purple, three drops of green and three drops of blue for the teal (both of them - the successful one and the reject), and three drops of yellow and two drops of red for the orange. The darker teal reject was four drops of green and four drops of blue.
I've thought long and hard about why two of the jars didn't work out. One of them was the exact same mixture as a successful jar, I used the same techniques on all the jars, and the jars were all in the oven for the same amount of time. I've concluded that the air-drying time is crucial. The two unsuccessful jars were the last to be done, and thus had the least amount of air-drying before going into the oven. Next time (oh yes, I will continue until I perfect this process), I will let all the jars air-dry for 30 minutes before going into the oven for 30 minutes.
For now, I am going to make something to put in the jars.
|the rejects - so streaky!|