7.19.2012

wip: dresser

my workspace
I have been working diligently on my new dresser. So far I have sanded about 1/3 of it. Most of my time has been spent going to Lowe's and trying to rebuild the missing broken-off corners. When I bought it, I obviously didn't inspect it closely enough. But all these repairs give me something to do, I suppose. 
one finished corner

I have been using white wood filler to recreate the corners. It looks silly now, but it should look fine once I paint everything. I've been testing the new corners, and the wood filler seems pretty strongly attached. We'll see how durable it is. Adam has another idea for fixing these broken areas, but I'm not sure I want to invest in a hacksaw just yet. 

The real difficulty is not in the corners, but in these huge splintered areas along the bottom edges of the drawers. I am this close to deciding that I wouldn't mind a lived-in roughed-up look. After all, this dresser will just be used in my sewing room and (hopefully) used by little kiddos in the future.

We'll see! I just can't wait to get to the painting stage...

unfinished repairs
it almost matches
not so much


No comments:

Post a Comment