Today I am going to show you how to make a quick, cute and inexpensive mobile!
1. Gather supplies!
You will need grow capsules (found at any major store in the toy section, and also often in the dollar sections), scissors, a hand needle, clear thread, and half an embroidery hoop (luckily I had a broken one just waiting to be used!)
|2. "Grow" your capsules!|
|drop capsules in warm water|
3. Watch the animals (or whatever shapes you have) appear!
|and watch them grow!|
4. Continue watching. It takes awhile.
|there's a lion!|
5. Squeeze out the excess water and allow your spongy animals to dry.
|let the sponge animals dry|
6. Thread the needle with an arbitrary length of clear thread.
7. Gently slide the needle through the center of the back of a randomly selected animal shape, so it will hang nicely.
8. Tie the other end of the length of thread to the embroidery hoop with a double-knot.
9. Repeat for all the animals.
|Sassy wants to eat my animals while I work|
10. Tie three extra-long strings to the embroidery hoop equal distances apart. Tie a knot of the three strings together.
Hang and enjoy!
NB: Clear thread is slippery and difficult to see. For an easier equally cute alternative, use strands of colored embroidery floss!