1.05.2013

[completed] adam's anniversary quilt


 Second anniversary gifts are typically cotton, so for my own second anniversary, I made a cotton quilt for Adam. I followed the flagged quilt tutorial from In Color Order, and used a bundle of fabrics called "Dapper Dan" from Fabricworm (no longer available). The bundle of fabrics included a mustache print, and a keyboard print that I just absolutely had to have for Adam. There were also some random prints, polka dots, and stripes. The bundle actually came with a fat quarter of the same Kona gray solid that I used for the background of the quilt, so I swapped out that fat quarter with a black, gray and white graffiti-style print that I already had in my stash.


I initially started quilting free-motion squiggles all over the quilt, but after doing about 1/4 of the quilt, I decided that style didn't suit the quilt and I spent four hours ripping out the stitches. I decided to do straight lines of quilting around each of the flags, and then more lines inside the triangles. I left the quilting lines as far apart as possible so that the quilt is still soft.



I backed the quilt with a twin flat sheet from Target (100% cotton and less than $11!). The quilting was all done with light grey thread, so it blends into the grey backing fairly well. I like that you can still see the quilting lines, though - it gives the back some interest.


I bound the quilt in this awesome sketchy crosshatch print from Jo-Ann's. The print is black and white, which captures the color scheme of the quilt without matching too closely to any of the flags.

The quilt ended up smaller than the tutorial indicated, but it's still a generous lap size. Adam was appreciative - and I gave one of the best cotton gifts imaginable!

No comments:

Post a Comment