4.14.2013

[wip] houses on a hill quilt top

absurdly proportioned quilt top
 Yesterday, I started a new quilt top, inspired by this Moda Bake Shop quilt. I call this quilt "houses on a hill".

As you can see if you follow the link, my quilt is not at all the same as my inspiration. I wanted it to be more colorful and look like houses on a hill (hence the name), with sky at the top. But I messed up the proportions - when I laid out all the pieces, I failed to account for the sashing in between the rows of houses. All the fabrics for this project came from my stash - the "houses" are made from a charm pack I've had for ages, and the green "grass" fabric is from my stash. The blue for the "sky" is leftover scrap from this quilt.

I was very careful to ensure that the green fabric, which is a directional print, was always arranged so that the print flowed in the same direction. I'm very disappointed that this quilt did not turn out as I had anticipated, although I honestly didn't spend a lot of time on it.

I might take off the bottom few rows and use them on the back of the quilt. Or I could add borders to the sides? Or both? I'm not sure what to do yet. I don't want to distract from the overall plan of the quilt (the "houses on a hill") with borders... So I haven't decided. This quilt top will probably be added to my stack of WIPs while I think on it. Which means I can start another project!
closeup

1 comment:

  1. so cheerful!

    You could take off the bottom two rows, and add another column of houses to two columns...you'd end up with 2 extra houses though, and you would need more blue for sky.

    ReplyDelete