8.09.2012

[completed] sally the snail baby quilt

Sally the Snail
 Remember this quilt top? Well, it has become this baby quilt! This quilt is the same pattern and size as Sidney the Snail quilt, but has a different feel (I think). I made this one with a pink and blue houndstooth snail with a yellow snail and pink borders. I made the binding out of white, pink and yellow scraps. I love a scrappy binding!

detail of the quilting
 I did free-motion quilting in the center of the snail, and quilted hearts and spirals. The shell is simply quilted with straight lines in the ditch and then also echoing the seams. The pink borders are free-motion quilted with stippling.

the back 
I used fabric I already had for the backing (so in total, I used two yards and five fat quarters for this quilt), making this quilt another inexpensive finish. I had to rip out miles of free-motion quilting in the borders because the fabric puckered super badly. It was very annoying, but I think the end result is worth the trouble. A puckered back (especially in a striped fabric!) just isn't acceptable.

detail of the quilting on the back
You can see the shape of the snail on the back (although that stripe is a little dizzying in photos), and then the hearts and spirals in the center.

This is my second finish for today, and it feels great!

1 comment: