10.21.2012

[completed] elephant mug rug


completed elephant mug rug!
Recently, I participated in a "Secret Pal" swap. My giftee likes sewing, elephants, and the color red. I decided to combine her interests into a little mug rug! I made up the measurements, and whipped up this little cutie! I put it in a gift bag along with some hot cocoa. Perfect for fall.

front
 I found an elephant shape that I liked through a google search, and used Steam-a-Seam to fuse the appliques onto the background fabric. Then I simply stitched around the shapes!

back
closeup of the stitching
 I used a small zig-zag to stitch around the shapes, and used red thread. I've since found different settings for the zig-zag that produce nicer, tighter lines, but you live and learn, right?

closeup of the finished mug rug!
I finished the mug rug by free-motion quilting squiggles and loops in the background, and then bound it in homemade matching binding.

Pretty cute, right? And super easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment